Would you like to be a volunteer at Amundsen Race?
Do you like animals in general and dogs in specific?
Are you curious about sled dog sports and the adventures of long distance sledding?
Or are you considering to run a longdistance race and first like to see what it is all about?
Then YOU are the PERFECT volunteer for Amundsen Race, a valuable link between race organization and dog musher, and utmost important part of the organization, in other words
a kind of multitask force
What does a volunteer do?
Volunteer tasks are many and divers from start to finish in Strömsund and on each checkpoint in Ursvattnet, Norråker and Fjällsikten. Amongst other are we looking for people to guide teams to the start chute and in and out of checkpoints, help at road crossings, time taking and reporting, tasks at the race office, following the race to take pictures & movies as input for the website, transport stuff to and from checkpoints, etc., etc.
A variety of tasks are also to be done in cooperation with the veterinary team during the check-up of the dogs prior to the race, or with the scooter squad when the preparation of the trail is concerned. In most of the tasks it is of course an advantage if you are familiar with dogs.
A long distance race goes on non-stop, for 24 hours a day during 3 days, which means that we need volunteers continuously, working in shifts. All help is appreciated, even be it for few hours, so don’t hesitate to contact us.
Volunteers are offered food and board. Bring with your sleeping bag, sleeping mat and headlamp, warm clothes and a big smile!
What can you help us with?
Help the race office. Inchecking of mushers, hand out bib numbers, check vaccination booklets, take in forms for vet checks, etc.
Veterinary control. Help the veterinarians to check the identity chips on the dogs.
Preparations around the start area in Strömsund.
Race Start & Checkpoint(s)
- Help the teams to the start
- Road crossing guides
- Prepare checkpoints in Ursvattnet, Norråker and Fjällsikten
- Time taking and guiding teams in and out of the checkpoint
- Reporting times to race office
- Clean up the starting area
During the Race
- Time taking and guide teams in and out of checkpoint
- Help mushers out with questions
- Refill water and fire wood
- Help build up the finish area
- Clean up at the checkpoints after closure
- Transport stuff between and from checkpoints
- Time taking teams out of the last checkpoint
- Take in those teams finishing
- Clean up at the finish area
Are you available between 23 – 26 February 2023 and would like to help?
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org